Skip to main content
4:00 pm
[ laughter ] >> -- you? you? >> joy: you are a big nothing. >> you are going to be a sports announcer? are you kidding? you are not special! [ laughter ] >> joy: okay. see what you are in for. it is very funny. don't forget to watch "comics with benefits" friday at 9:00 eastern right here on current tv. see you tomorrow, my guests are jeremy irons, and kevin nealon. hello, this is a good show. >> cenk: welcome fought "the young turks." it's the wednesday night fights at "the young turks." we'll fight over drug wars. who do i have on my side? not a big deal. a bunch of ex-presidents. >> in in 1979 i made my definitive speech about drugs and i called for the decriminalization of marijuana. this was in 1979. >> cenk: who do i have with me? jack burkeman, and then begun
4:01 pm
control, here we go again in portland. i'll get into a debate with a conservative about it. of course he thinks the answer is more guns. and conservatives continue to go nuts on gango on chains. >> what's your name? >> janngo. >> cenk: he's really mad if the "d" is silent. i love this. this is what a former romney adviser. look at what happened to him on tv. >> glen, are you all right? >> cenk: i love that man. he had that coming. we'll give you more on him as well. it is go time.
4:02 pm
>> cenk: yet another day. yet another shooting. this time in portland. and this time its another guy with an ar-15 and it is or horrifying in its details 12,347 cell phone video shows the chaos soon ever the shooting. customers, even a little girl being led out with their hand out. >> people are bailing out like crazy everywhere. >> the police arrived met by terrified shoppers, children and employees running out. the suspect was wearing a hockey mass and was said to be running through the macy store and firing an assault weapon in the food court. in a surreal moment even the mall's santa could be seen running.
4:03 pm
>> i decided to ease my way out. >> the police report the gunman has been, quote neutralized. this morning the police say he is dead. >> the shooter died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. s.w.a.t. teams lead more survivors out of the mall, still inside, the lifeless bodies of two innocent bystanders and the gunman. >> cenk: this is insanity. if al-qaeda was bringing this to us, we would be in a state of complete and utter panic. if they were shooting in malls on a consistent basis. if they were shooting up movie theaters on a consistent basis. o the terrorists are here, they're doing it over and over again. instead, we're terrorizing ourselves with these guns that are rampant, that are everywhere. when are we going to say hey enough is enough. there was a shooting in new jersey. there was a shooting the day
4:04 pm
after. and there was another shooting today. when are we going to stop doing this to one other. instead of gun control throughout the country but since we're in a mall we expect that we will be shot up one day. the action training of minimum wage employees to show them how to lead them out in case of gunfire. and it helped. led to safety when she explains--he's working at lan lancome there. alan is my hero. he knew what to do. he said we need to evacuate. he took me by the hand, and he led me down through the
4:05 pm
counters down the escalator and out to safety. he's my hero because he's then turned to me and said now that i know you're safe i'm going back to help other people. i'm very impressed with him being a young man and having so much courage. >> that's the smart thing to do. conservative was have said, it would have been great if they had weapons and everyone in the mall started shooting. let's take a look at the weapon that was used, the same one used in aurora. we get these fired at us throughout the country all the time in different places and yeah hunky-dory, this is terrific. when is the last time they used this for dear hunting and if they did you're probably a horrible horrible hunter as if the deer wasn't in bad enough shape. how do violent countries like pakistan they must have more weapons than us right?
4:06 pm
nope. they have 11.6 weapons per 100 people in pakistan. they have constant fighting. they have the taliban and the northern districts where they have up risings only 11.6. who came number two in the world? yemen. they have 54.8 guns per hundred people. you guessed it already right? we're number one! we're crushing yemen and the rest of the world 88.8 guns per 100 people. we're swimming in an ocean of guns. every time one of those goes off, the deranged guy with an easy access to weapon, wow shocking. i see it coming, and it will happen again and again and again. then you've got cities like chicago where it's mayhem. so many murders. we have a news report on that. >> chicago's image has been
4:07 pm
defined by shots heard and seen and the world usually snippets of carnage and mayhem. >> the city continues to deal with the deadly ivy lens. 13 people dead this weekend including the 14-year-old boy who was shot and killed. >> gary mccarthy told acc 7 that there is still an unacceptable level of violence in the city. so far this weekend four people including two children are dead. and at least 26 people have been wounded in weekend shootings. >> cenk: but our next guest said it's not because there are too many guns, but there are not enough guns in chicago. really? let's ask him. alan gottlieb chairman of the citizens for the right to keep and bear arms. alan, thank you for joining us. give us your best shot on telling us what is wrong with chicago's gun laws.
4:08 pm
>> chicago has a ban on than guns. it makes it impossible to have a gun. to have a permit in your home, you have to have range training, but you couldn't get to gun range training. and it's totally illegal for anybody in the city to carry a firearm loaded for self protection outside of your home. a case we just took to federal court and just the other day it was turned--hold on for a second. so nobody who is a legitimate law abiding person can defend themselves or have a gun. but you just gave a news report for how bad things are. that's what gun control does. you can't protect yourself. >> cenk: i love how you think that people inside chicago can't get guns. i love how you think it's a country in and of itself.
4:09 pm
it's an island in an ocean of guns. at every nearby state you can buy a gun with no waiting period no nothing. isn't it the easiest thing to get guns into chicago? >> calm down and take a valium. the fact of the matter you can't buy a handgun in another state that you're not a resident. and in illinois, in order to own a firearm, you have to have an i.d. card to purchase a card. that is in the state of illinois. illinois has the strictest gun control in country and how do you explain the carnage? >> because there are 89 guns for 100 people in this country. >> not in chicago. >> alan, i have a challenge. why don't we try the kind of gun control they have in chicago across the country for a year or two years. >> we've had it in washington, d.c.-- >> cenk: no, we had an assault weapon ban. no, that's not across the
4:10 pm
country. you give me island of ocean of guns. >> well, it's at safe place per guns. >> cenk: didn't we have less gun violence when we-- >> we have more gun violence. chicago-- >> cenk: we have more gun violence now when it is out of control. >> washington, d.c. the places with the strictest gun control has the highest homicide rates in the country. >> cenk: you keep going back to the island of ocean of guns. you tell me that the problem in chicago is that there weren't enough guns, right for people to protect themselves. hold on, wait a minute. that's exactly what you said. >> i'm not advocating that everybody should have a gun. i'm advocating that people should have one. >> cenk: let me ask the question. but in most of these shootings or in a lot of these shootings it was gang shootings. both sides have guns. why didn't it work? isn't that your ideal dream scenario yes both sides have guns. >> no, gang members--i don't think gang members--they are
4:11 pm
criminals--you haven't taken that valium yet. the gang members should have guns. >> cenk: you tell me-- >> they get them illegally. >> cenk: you say both sides should have guns. >> not gang members but homeowners and shop keepers yes. but not gang members. >> cenk: do you know people who are shot are four and a half more times likely to have guns on them when they get shot. why don't guns help. >> more people use a firearm every day in this country to protect themselves than guns used in crime. in order to get a good public policy answer you have to look at both sides of the equation. you can't look at one side of the equation and come up with the right answer. that's what you're doing. >> cenk: that's not true. i have an exact fact. guns-- >> who did the analysis? who did the analysis. >> cenk: hey, talk about takeing a valium. you haven't heard the analysis.
4:12 pm
maybe you'll agree with it. >> who gave the analysis. >> cenk: dude, i'll tell you. guns are more likely to be used in the home of men trying to intimidate women than strangers. as for the journal of social science and medicine. >> a very known anti-begun rights public case. they refuse to study the other side. they refuse to print the other side of the equation. there are a lot of university studies. >> cenk: they're scientists. >> are studies that--whoa whoa, there are university university professor if you look at independent researches. >> cenk: last question for you. so i assume that you definitely want iran to have nuclear weapon? >> of course not. >> cenk: wait a minute. more arms equals a safer world. why don't we give nuclear
4:13 pm
weapons-- >> more arms in the right hands. >> cenk: oh, i see. who is going to determine-- >> i do not approve of criminals having guns. >> cenk: if you make the law so incredibly lax who will determine who has the right hands or not. are you going to be in every gun show or are you going to be saying if you're the right kind of guy we'll let you have a gun. >> that's the way the law should be. >> cenk: you want guns for everyone. >> no, i don't want guns for everybody. i don't want guns for everybody. >> cenk: and then when we're swimming in guns you say look at that. the wrong guy got it. >> leave out the emotional rhetoric. >> cenk: i'm emotional because people are getting shot and killed. >> let's stop league ridiculous about this. 99% of gun owners never misuse their guns in this country. >> cenk: and the 1%--even if i believe your number, 1%--which
4:14 pm
is a giant number, 3 million people in the country keep murdering us. we go to malls we go to movie theaters. >> so what we need to do--what we need to do is make sure. >> cenk: they keep going-- [ over talking each other ] >> cenk: this is important. >> no that they don't lose their lights. >> cenk: this guy in portland shot at least 60 times. you can't go in with a knife and stab 60 people. you can't go in with a bat. >> i know a guy it was a guy in 20 times. >> cenk: and the guy in colorado was over 100 times. what you love is making killing more efficient. >> more valium. you need to calm down. you get any facts in. >> cenk: that's what you love. that's the result we get when we have your terrible insane policies. thank you for joining us, alan gottlieb. when we come back, are we going
4:15 pm
to be calmer? i don't know. we'll find out. we have boehner and the fight in michigan over the union. we'll talk about that, too. [ bullhorn ] >> back up! back up! back up! >> cenk: all right and if that wasn't enough we'll also do an elbow of the day.
4:16 pm
4:17 pm
4:18 pm
every day presents another exciting issue. from financial regulation, fraud on wall street. things everyday exploding around the world that leave no shortage for exciting conversations. at the end of the show, you know what has happened, why its happened and more importantly, what's going to happen tomorrow. [ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> cenk: in mission the republicans in a panic passed the so-called right to work laws which, in fact, allow for freeloaders to let the union negotiate for them and then take advantage without todaying do yous. this was meant to weaken the unions and the unions are not happy about this. now they're going to lose five seats in the election in the legislature the republicans are, that's why they did that
4:19 pm
right before they leave office. they were angry than angrier than i was in the last segment and they had the americans for prosperity in the middle of them. it was the group funding the republican legislatures as they pass this law. they rip this tent down, as you can see there. there were fights angry words. michael shure is here with me. we'll talk about the politics of this. obviously tearing down the tent was a bad idea, it looks bad and fox news are able to say ha-ha, union thugs. what do you do? you have the legislature. they had the governor. they hatch this plot, as one of them explained, the g.o.p. in michigan as we showed on the show yesterday, they hatched the plot in 2007. the minute we had enough republicans we go forward and we destroy union rights. >> what you do is you don't unfortunately, punch people in the face and tear their tents
4:20 pm
down for the exact reasons. i'm glad to see the valium kicking in for this segment but for the exact same reasons you delineated there. you don't want these images out there because then you have an us versus them. >> cenk: do you think they wanted this? you can't blame the victims. i'm not--and there were people inside the tent. if there were no people inside the tent and they took the tent down, i would have no problems. and someone was punched outrageous. but do you the americans for prosperity put the tent there-- >> they were provocative. they had no place to put a tent up in the middle of a protest. of course they were doing that. >> cenk: they were rubbing it in their face. >> they won the day before, and that day--and it already worked. and it worked now. you're seeing what happened. we're talking about it on television that they tore a tent down. so, i mean. >> cenk: this is coordinated throughout, you know, all these years and all these states.
4:21 pm
do you think democratic party has woken up yet? you're under assault and you need to do something. you need to have at least-- >> i think they are blindsided in michigan, honestly. i think if they had woke un unduring indiana and ohio, then that would have happened. >> cenk: that goes to my point during the show, too these are the bad guys. how can you be blindsided? >> they were blindsided by the fact that it was signed and pass but by the accelerateed way it was brought up in the legislature and signed. i don't think the unions had time to do that. if it goes to referendum which can can't because it was done as an appropriation, they go after it in other ways besides punching people in the face. >> cenk: there is no such thing
4:22 pm
as a moderate republican, they're all paid by the same folks with the same agenda. the g.o.p. house speaker sent the white house a fiscal cliff proposal calling for a permanent extension of the bush-era tax credit for incomes in the top 2%. that was the same proposal. >> that is the identical proposal. in 2011 that was the same proposal. john boehner he listen to this, this is b 12 john boehner after the election, what he was calling the president to do which he is not doing. >> mr. president this is your moment. we're ready to be led, not as democrats or republicans but as americans. we want to you lead, not as a liberal or conservative, but as president of the united states of america. we want to you succeed.
4:23 pm
let's challenge ourselves to find the common ground that has alluded us. let's rise above the dysfunction and do the right thing together for our country. >> cenk: now look, i'll tell i couldn't this pisses me off. lindsey graham says the same thing. this is not time to be liberal. conservatives say time to be conservatives. we've got a mandate. but not time to be liberal time to be bipartisan. you play small ball. you're not a man. a man agrees with us? why, a man kicks your ass. >> that is not why he wanted to win. it wasn't just about getting elected. that's what lindsey graham and john boehner don't see. they are not leading. they boehner is complaining we're not getting specifics. the republicans gave no specifics and they lost on november 6th. 68% of americans according to a
4:24 pm
poll released today the wall street journal say the president has the mandate to raise the tax rates and cut en entitlements and spending. >> cenk: people are not approving how boehner is handling this. war on drugs? we have another war here on "the young turks" as we argue about that with a conservative. i'm pumped up. let's see how that goes. >> if all you do is try to find a lease on military solution to the problem a lot of people die and it doesn't solve the problem. >> cenk: and then this amuseing moment happened to one of romney romney's top sporters. >> glen, are you all right? [ ♪ music ♪ ]
4:25 pm
4:26 pm
[ male announcer ] you like who you are... and you learned something along the way. this is the age of knowing what you're made of. so, why let erectile dysfunction get in your way? talk to your doctor about viagra. 20 million men already have. ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take viagra if you take nitrates for chest pain; it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. side effects include headache, flushing upset stomach, and abnormal vision. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. stop taking viagra and call your doctor right away if you experience a sudden decrease or loss in vision or hearing. this is the age of taking action. viagra. talk to your doctor. see if america's most prescribed ed treatment is right for you. >> cenk: we have positive developments on the so-called
4:27 pm
war on drugs. they say it's not working in legalizing marijuana. now in a documentary called "breaking the taboo." this is what bill clinton said. >> we could have fighting and killing over cigarettes if we made it a felony over a cigarette, so we legalized it. if all you do is try to find a police or military solution to the problem, a lot of people die and it doesn't solve the problem. >> cenk: i wish he would have said that while he was in office. a lot of politicians say i can't believe we did that. that's really stupid. can you please reach that conclusion before you leave office. and of course jimmy carter, also on the right side. >> when i was president in 1979 i made my definitive speech about drugs and i called for the decriminalization of marijuana. this is in 1979. not for the legalization but the
4:28 pm
decriminalization to keep people from being put in prison just because they were smoking a marijuana cigarette. >> cenk: can you imagine if carter had gotten his way and he we decriminalized in 1979? if we had a debate about making marijuana illegal? why, are you going to go back and make alcohol illegal too? [ fake laugh ] three-quarters of a million people arrested every year over this. that's insanity. more than half a million people in prison because of marijuana violation. 60,000 people were killed over the last six years in mexico because of this insane war on drugs. how about overdose, i thought banning drugs was supposed to make it less available and cause less overdoses.
4:29 pm
we've got more. and how much does it cost us? 1 trillion-dollar. this war on drugs. and it keeps piling up. this is absolute insanity. so if i were president obama and i'm still in office, and by the way, remember president obama smokeed pot himself and apparently other things as well, and yet he puts all of those people in jail for smoking pot. he continues to do the same insanity that all of these other presidents have continued throughout their administrations. this is what i would do. first of all, i would leave the states alone. this is what i tell conservatives. you win. colorado washington, have all the states rights in the world to legalize marijuana. second of all i would begin the legalization process on the federal level and then to make conservative heads explode i would do a blanket pardon for all people in prison for marijuana possession. you're free to go. because they never should have been arrested in the first
4:30 pm
place. it's criminal how many people we have locked up in prison over marijuana possession. if i were president, we would have a different country. it might an little fun. but a guy who might disagree with me is jack burke man on radio america. the people who smoke in washington and colorado, and expect you are going to agree with their wishes or say yes that's what colorado and washington wants, so go forward. >> you would be a perfect candidate for the democratic nomination. go for the democratic nomination. i'll write you a check cenk, you're a perfect liberal. bill clinton and jimmy carter should be ashamed of themselves for those speeches. you could make that heroin and cocaine. do you want to legalize heroin? >> i do, actually. >> oh, that's so silly.
4:31 pm
it's very simple. we have all these vices in the society. alcohol is legal. you've got prescription drugs growing at an epidemic rate. >> should we make them illegal. >> why do we want to add more fuel to an already growing fire. >> jack. >> by legalizing pot. >> cenk: i gave you the stats. it didn't work with the overdose has doubled in the last decade. >> you think about it. >> cenk: hold on you're making this incredibly important assumption that if we make it illegal we'll have less of it. but it's not borne out by the fact. >> you have overdose doubling. it might have gone up 1,000% or 20-to-1 if it hadn't been illegal. it's true. when you talk-- >> cenk: anything could have happened and then you would have come in and speared us with the unicorn. we know what a bad policy is. we have more people killed, and now you're telling me, well, if we did the opposite, maybe we could have even more disasters.
4:32 pm
>> i'm lawyer who in my past life i did criminal defense. it is very difficult to get thrown in jail because of marijuana. if you're in jail because i represented clients like this. if you're in jail because of marijuana you have committed multiple violations. you're on number three four, or five or you had some big stash that the police found in your car. there is nobody in jail anywhere in the united states for smoking a joint somewhere. that's some kind of liberal fire departmentcy. >> cenk: you're making a good point until the last line. there are people in jail over that. it depends why the prosecutor wanting to after them. but your point is fair. a lot of people who are in jail for possession were because of a plea and because the prosecutor thought he was actually dealing. but i don't think it should be illegal in the first place. >> here is the main point of the whole thing if you legalize, if you have a broad legalization of something like marijuana or any drug that is now illegal see your liberal focus--i used to have these debates with bill
4:33 pm
maher. liberals focus on the demand side. there is the supply side. there will be a massive growth in the supply. >> cenk: i think government should do a strict regulation and she should dispense it. the american people have spoken, in a gallup poll, 64% say the federal government should not mess with the state laws of colorado and washington. i've heard from conservatives for decades how important states rights are. are you going to tell me that you do not believe in states rights? [ laughing ] >> i believe in states right. the 64%, that hardly means that--that hardly means that 64% of the country you present that as though 64% of the country supports legalization of marijuana. but i go back to your previous point. you say supply, let's regulate it. now you're in the tobacco conundrum. now you have massive federal
4:34 pm
intervention regulators at the federal level and that's just what we have in tobacco. >> i have no problems regulating it. what we were right now we have a mess. apparently you don't believe in states rights and i'll never let you make that argument again. thankthank you for come together program. >> thank you. >> cenk: the five political lies of the year. you'll love this list. >> who will do more for the auto industry? not barack obama. obama took g.m. and chrysler into bankruptcy and sold chrysler to italians who are going to build jeeps in china. strangers and ignoring our friends.
4:35 pm
the chill of peppermint. the rich dark chocolate. york peppermint pattie get the sensation.
4:36 pm
4:37 pm
4:38 pm
>> cenk: politico is a fact-checking organization and they've been doing something over the last couple of years "the lie of year." >> obama: took g.m. and chrysler into bankruptcy and sold chrysler to italians who are going to build jeeps in china. >> cenk: oh, my god, they're moving all the jeep jobs to china. then the ceo put out a statement. i feel obliged to state our position. jeep production will not be used tofrom the united states to children. it is inaccurate to suggest anything different. they knew it wasn't true, and even after this statement mitt romney kept saying over and over again, they're going to move all the jeep jobs to china.
4:39 pm
can you believe it? so that wound up being lie of the year for political fact. they asked readers to pick out the top lies of the year. the top five. here's the first one. >> what we now have is the biggest tax increase in the history of the world. obama-care is just a massive tax increase. that's all it is. >> cenk: that's awesome. the biggest tax increase in the history of the world. now the reeders picked that number one biggest lie now number two was this one. >> if you got a business, you didn't build that, somebody else made that happen. >> my father's hands didn't build this company? my hands didn't build this company? >> through hard work and a little bit of luck we built this business. where are you demonizing us for it. >> cenk: that came in over 20% because obviously president obama didn't say you didn't built your own business. he said you didn't build the roads and bridges we built it
4:40 pm
together. that was a lie. number three this one. >> on july 12th president obama quietly announced a plan to gut reform. under his plan you would not have to work or train for a job. they would just send you your welfare check. >> cenk: that was my favorite. they knew it was the exact opposite. he was tightening the work standards in welfare reform but they decided, who cares we're going to brazenly 100% lie about it because they don't think they were going to be called out on it. >> again my presidency with a jobs tour. president obama began his presidency with an apology tour. >> cenk: there it is, an absolutely. he did not begin with an apology tour and did not go across the world apologizing for america. when you include the one that political fact chose, they you look
4:41 pm
at all five were republicans lies. this is what they do. this is who they are. they lie on a professional and mass scale. in fact, look at the news now. michigan snyder what did he say? snyder did not address as they explained in the slate, did not address the right to work in his presentation but told members of the news media afterwards, it is not on my agenda because it is divisive. then what did he do? he put it on his agenda. the minute he had an opportunity he passed the right to work laws. why? he is a liar. he intended to deceive the public so they would vote for him. that's point number two. it's frustrating that the press doesn't understand that. you see, they have to lie otherwise they can't win because their real purpose is to represent the top 2%, the rich and the powerful that fund their
4:42 pm
campaigns. if they told you the truth, if snyder and romney said i'm out for the rich, will you vote for me, and i'm only for the rich--they wouldn't get your vote. that's why they have to lie on a mass scale. the press who just doesn't get it. the detroit free press after snyder lying to them and pushed forward the right to work law said this. we also indulge many compromises snyder maintain were necessary. in short we trusted snyder's judgment. that trust has been betrayed. well color you stupid. you are in the business of journalism, and you didn't know that this was what the republicans are doing? oh, my god it turns out the republican governor of michigan is for worker rights and wants to help those who run the big corporations in michigan. i didn't see that coming. the guys who funded his campaign wow we feel betrayed. no, they lie all the time.
4:43 pm
when are you going to get it through your stupid head? two guys who are part of the conventional wisdom in washington. they have written tremendous things. they wrote a whole book. these are the points that i love. they said if you want to use a strategy of "i'm going to lie all the time" when you have the false equivalence of the mainstream press you get away with it. their philosophy is supposed to be that they represent the middle class so they don't have to lie as much as the guys who only rich the very, represent the very, very rich. if you call it even every time you're going to let the republicans get away with it. you think they don't know that? if voters are going to be able to hold accountable political figures they got to know what is going on. and if the story you're telling
4:44 pm
repeatedly that they're all to blame, they're equally to blame then you're really doing a disservice to the voters and not doing what journalism is supposed to do. that's exactly right. if you call it 50/50 you're lying to your audience. you're helping the republicans lie to the voters. what you need to do is to be objective, not neutral. you don't play football game and then say hey everybody said they won. somebody won. somebody told the truth. somebody told a lie. there are facts. and it is the job of the journalists to search those out. unfortunately, they have been horrible at those jobs for decades. that's why the republicans believe they can lie with impunity. that's why all the top lies of the year in politics were from republicans. "the young turks." ♪ ♪ the trucks are going farther.
4:45 pm
the new 2013 ram 1500. ♪ ♪ with the best-in-class fuel economy. engineered to move heaven and earth. ♪ ♪ guts. glory. ram.
4:46 pm
4:47 pm
[ piano plays ] troy polamalu's going deeper. ♪ ♪ and so is head & shoulders deep clean. [ male announcer ] with 7 benefits it goes deep to remove grease, gunk and flakes. deep. like me. [ male announcer ] head & shoulders deep clean for men. ♪ ♪ >> cenk: back on "the young turks." we got a great tweet during the show. it says perhaps you should give
4:48 pm
jack burkman the nickname of "bob" because he's so often wrong. we might take you up on that. now, conservatives are unchained about this movie because they think there is racism against everybody. white people, plaque black people? how is there racism against black people? this insane headline today, it was by quentinter ten know. you can on what friggin' basis did he write that? he linked it to an article how the movie used that word. it said the "n" word and didn't write it out like this, but who cares, an opportunity to saying is totally inflammatory on my headline. but is he inapplying that terantino is racist against black people? but he was just implying that it
4:49 pm
was racist against white people. >> i spent my whole life surrounded by black fingers. why don't they just rise up and kill the whites? [ laughing ] >> who knows what could happen. >> in the world you got to get dirty, so that's what i'm doing. i'm getting dirty. >> what's your name? >> jdjango. the "d" is silent. >> cenk: yeah, if you ask me that looks bad ass. but i'm sure i'll be accused of being racist against asian people as long as they're making things up. it was linked to an article how alarming it is in this context for whites to see an "n" word on
4:50 pm
a horse. but quite naturally given the historical setting the "n"-word is said from whites and blacks alike. why would he put the "n" word all over his title based on that. the correct title on the website should have been this. i didn't say anything. of course, as i told you fox the other day was criticizing for the opposite reason. >> i play a slave. how back is that? and in the movie i have to wear chains. how whack is that. but don't be worried about it, because i get out of the chains. i get free, and i save my wife and i kill all the white people in the movie. how great is that. >> how great killing white people really? >> cenk: outrageous. it's a movie. he was a slave in the movie.
4:51 pm
let's bring in lauren brown jarvis, the community director of jack and jill politics. great to have you here again. is the movie racist against white people, black people, mexicans, do you understand their complaint. >> first of all, i'm a big terantino fan. i think he's one of america's great treasures. but i think drudge's actions beg two questions. one, was he trying to inflame the supremacist base of his following if you look at mccarthy's article, they range from ridiculous to outright insane and many are overtly racist. or is drudge really using the website to say he's ready to have a conversation about race which is overdo you in overdue in this nation. i don't think the right wing want to do that. they say it's behind us, race is
4:52 pm
divisive. i wonder if he's trying to do one of two things, inspire this race war that so many commenting on mccarthy's article believe is coming or putting it out there that it's time to have a conversation about race. >> cenk: that would be surprising. >> it's possible. >> cenk: yeah okay, but if that's true we should have a conversation about how the drudge report over and over again ran stories of black on white crime. whatever is happening in the country, drudge kept running headlines that were all coincidentally be black on white crimes. when he puts the word out there what is it one two three four five, six seven times. >> seven times yeah. >> cenk: do you believe him that he's concerned that tarantino is prejudice against black people? >> absolutely not. but someone who is such an
4:53 pm
proponent of second amendment rights is taking issue of violence in the film, and one of the critiques of the right wing is this is a hyper violent movie, but if you look at tarantino's work that's one of the hallmarks of his movie. and we have people who are actively promoting gun rights. i think this is totally a way for him to inflame his audience and give them something to be upset about. they're just continue to go spew the hatred that they're critiquing tanner tarantino in his film. >> cenk: everyone is here, ana jayar, michael as well. i want to ask one question, and it might be controversial, but in "inglorious bastards," he kills the nazis. at that time i would have wanted
4:54 pm
to kill the nazis. if i was a slave i would want to kill the people who were enslaving me. >> it seems straightforward. when it comes to drudge's headline, it's seeking attention. it doesn't matter where it comes, friend or foe he's looking for attention. like a three-year-old jumping up and saying, me, me, me. if they're looking for negative attention, just don't give it to them. don't feed the fire. just ignore them. >> i think they want attention, too. i think before they ask for that attention they should probably update their website because it is a hot mess. it's 2012, let's get it together. >> cenk: it looks like it's from 1987. lauren thank you for joining us. >> thank you, cheng. >> cenk: when we come back, the elbow of the day. it's a fun one and literal, as well. something falls from the sky. you guessed it. you know what it is. exciting issue. from financial regulation, iran getting a nuclear bomb, civil war in syria, fraud on wall street, destruction of medicare
4:55 pm
and medicaid. there are real issues here. having been a governor, i know that trade-offs are tough. things everyday exploding around the world that leave no shortage for exciting conversations. i want our viewer to understand why things have happened. at the end of the show, you know what has happened, why its happened and more importantly, what's going to happen tomorrow. [ female announcer ] what would you call an ordinary breakfast pastry that's been wrapped in a flaky crust stuffed with a gooey center toasted up all golden brown then given a delicious design? a toaster strudel. pillsbury toaster strudel. so delicious...so fun. you, hang up first. no, you!! [ female announcer ] after school, get to pizza pleasin' faster than mandy can hang up on mr. monday. you hang up first. [ female announcer ] in just 60 seconds, you've got snack-defying, satisfying totino's pizza rolls. [ ringing ] it's on. let's roll.
4:56 pm
smiles make more smiles. when the chocolate is hershey's. life is delicious.
4:57 pm
>> cenk: glen hubbard was the generous behind mitt romney's economic plan. he probably would have been the treasury secretary if romney would have won. he was the guy who came up with the bush tax cuts. generousgenius moves. he said the capital market have helped facilitate a mortgage transformation over the past 25 years. the result has been a decline in the volume tilt in the housing. after he said that, this happened. oops, that would have been massive volatilit
4:58 pm
4:59 pm

tv
The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur
Current December 12, 2012 4:00pm-5:00pm PST

News/Business. (2012) New. (CC) (Stereo)

TOPIC FREQUENCY Us 14, Chicago 11, Snyder 6, Washington 6, Michigan 6, America 5, Chrysler 4, Colorado 4, China 4, John Boehner 3, Illinois 3, Boehner 3, Portland 3, Alan Gottlieb 2, Jimmy Carter 2, United States 2, Valium 2, Glen 2, Nazis 2, Lindsey Graham 2
Network Current
Duration 01:00:00
Rating PG
Scanned in San Francisco, CA, USA
Source Comcast Cable
Tuner Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)
Video Codec mpeg2video
Audio Cocec ac3
Pixel width 528
Pixel height 480
Sponsor Internet Archive
Audio/Visual sound, color


disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 12/13/2012
Views
75